Halloumi & Corn Fritters
Makes: Approximately 10 fritters | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 carrot
- ½ cup corn kernels
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup wholemeal self raising flour
- ½ cup halloumi, grated
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon rind
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Extra virgin olive oil
Yoghurt dipping sauce
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup plain Greek yoghurt
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Pepper, to season
1. Grate zucchinis and carrot into a sieve and leave to rest for 10 minutes. Then squeeze extra moisture in batches with your hands and place in a clean bowl. Or wrap in a cheesecloth and wring out. This is an important step to avoid soggy fritters.
2. Mix all the fritter ingredients in a large mixing bowl until well combined. If mixture is too wet and not holding together – add more flour.
3. Heat oil in a fry pan on medium heat. Make sure oil is hot. Place a tablespoon or so of the fritter mixture in the pan and flatten with the back of a spatula. Repeat with the remaining mixture, cooking in batches. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden and crissp.
4. Transfer to plate lined with baking paper.
5. To make the dipping sauce, heat a fry pan with 1 tbsp oil and saute 1 garlic clove. Add garlic to yoghurt with the juice a lemon and stir to combine. Season with pepper.
6. Serve the fritters with the dipping sauce and a salad.
- Serving these fritters with yoghurt helps to boost the protein content!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to a month.
- For more super delicious and healthy recipes, then check out our Flexitarian Cookbook & Eating Guide
- To learn more about kids nutrition, click here.