Tomato, Chicken & Barley Soup
Serves: 4-6 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 50 minutes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup tomato passata
- 1 ¼ cups pearl barley
- 400g chicken breast
- 1L chicken stock, reduced salt
- 2 dried bay leafs
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Pepper, to season.
1. Heat oil in a large pot, then add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, fennel and leek. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add flour to the pot and stir for 1-2 minutes. Then add tomato passata, barley and 2 cups of water and bring to the boil.
4. Add chicken breast to the pot. Then add 1L chicken stock, bay leaves and thyme and reduce to a simmer.
5. Cook for 30-40 minutes, until chicken cooked through.
6. Remove pot from the heat and shred chicken using a fork. Remove bay leaves and transfer shredded chicken back to the pot, mixing to combine.
7. Distribute soup between bowls and serve with fresh parley and pepper.
- For more super delicious and healthy recipes, then check out our Flexitarian Cookbook & Eating Guide.
Join The Biting Truth Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive our Meal Planning Guide & 10% discount off our shop page.