Tomato, Chicken & Barley Soup
Serves: 4-6 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 50 minutes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup tomato passata
- 1 ¼ cups pearl barley
- 400g chicken breast
- 1L chicken stock, reduced salt
- 2 dried bay leafs
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Pepper, to season.
1. Turn Cook4me on to the ‘sauté function’. Add oil to the pot, then add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, fennel and leek. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add flour to the pot and stir for 1-2 minutes. Then Add tomato passata, barley and 2 cups of water.
4. Add chicken breast to the pot. Then add 1L chicken stock, bay leafs and thyme.
5. Turn Cook4me on to ‘pressure cooker function‘ and set to 30 minutes.
6. Once finished, turn Cook4me off. Carefully open lid and use a fork to shred the chicken, remove bay leafs. Transfer soup into bowls and serve with topped with fresh parsley and pepper.
- Cooking options:
- Pressure cooker: We used the Tefal Cook4Me+ to create this recipe, however, you could use any type of pressure cooker.
- No pressure cooker: If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can cook this in a large pot instead. Allow chicken to boil on high for 45 minutes.
- Cook4Me+ includes over 150+ recipes, plus more on the app available for iPhone and Android. The machine is great for cooks of all skill levels and features guided on-screen instructions, so you know when to add ingredients and when to close the lid and let the machine take care of the rest.
- No calculating cooking times or temperatures – Cook4Me+ sets that for you, it even release the steam at the end of cooking and goes straight to ‘Keep Warm’ mode without you having to lift a finger! It really is a game changer when it comes to meal prep and dinner time – find out more here
- Fore more dinner recipes, click here.