Slow Cooked Beef & Eggplant Ragu with Rigatoni
Serves: 4-6 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 4-6 hours
- 1-2 tbsp flour
- 500g beef chuck steak
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium eggplant, diced into 2cm pieces
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh Thyme
- 1 x 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste, reduced salt
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup beef stocked, reduced salt
- 300g San Remo Rigatoni
- Parmesan cheese, to serve
- Basil, to serve
- Pepper, to serve
1. Dust the beef in flour, shaking to remove any excess
2. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Brown the beef for 3-4 minutes on each side and then transfer to slow cooker.
3. Add the remaining oil to the pan. Cook onion, garlic, eggplant, carrot, fennel, oregano, bay leaf and thyme for 3-4 minutes until fragrant and onion is translucent
4. Add canned cherry tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar and beef stock to the pan and bring to the boil
5. Transfer the tomato mixture to the slow cooker. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours or high on 4 hours.
6. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to packet instructions
7. Once the slow cooking is complete, the beef should easily fall apart when stirring with a wooden spoon. Remove the bay leaf
8. Toss the beef and eggplant ragu through the rigatoni and top with parmesan cheese, basil and season with pepper. Enjoy!
Join The Biting Truth Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive our Meal Planning Guide & 10% discount off our shop page.