Mushroom & Zucchini Spaghetti Bolognese
Serves: 4 | Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes
- 400g mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g lean mince (beef or pork)
- 700g bottle Passata
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 zucchini
- 1 carrot
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, dried
- 500g pasta
- Parmesan cheese, to serve
- Basil leaves, to serve
1. Finely chop mushrooms (or alternatively you can pulse in a food processor).
2. Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute for 3 minutes or until softened. Add mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. Add mince to the pan, using a wooden spoon to break up the mince. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Add Passata sauce and tomato paste.
4. Meanwhile, grate the zucchini and carrot (or alternatively you can pulse in a food processor).
5. Add the zucchini, carrot, bay leaves and rosemary to the pan. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
7. Divide pasta between bowls and top with bolognese sauce. Serve with a fine grating of parmesan cheese and basil leaves.
Tips: if you are cooking for fussy eaters, it can be a good idea to blend up the vegetables and Passata sauce.