Marinated Chicken Skewers, Hummus Yoghurt & Buckwheat Tabbouleh
- 4 wooden skewers
- 1 wholemeal pita bread, halved
For the chicken skewers:
- 4 skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- Half a red onion, cut in quarters
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- Half a yellow capsicum, cut in sixths
- Half a red capsicum, cut in sixths
For the tabbouleh:
- 1/3 cup buckwheat, rinsed and drained
- Large handful parsley, roughly chopped
- Large handful mint, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Large handful cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
For the hummus yoghurt:
- 1 tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
- Juice of 2 lemons
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Half a clove of garlic, crushed
1. In a large bowl, mix juice of 1 lemon, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, dried mixed herbs and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add chicken and coat evenly. Cover in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to marinate for 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the wooden skewers by soaking them in water for 15 minutes.
3. For the tabbouleh, add buckwheat and 2/3 cup water to a saucepan and simmer on low-medium heat for 20 minutes or until cooked. Drain and rinse. Once cooled, add parsley, mint, cherry tomatoes, juice of 1 lemon and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and mix.
4. For the hummus, add chickpeas, yoghurt, juice of 2 lemons, paprika and garlic to a food processor and blitz until smooth. To add extra crunch, you can garnish the hummus with a small handful of chickpeas coated in paprika and roast for 20 minutes at 220 degrees.
5. Once the chicken has marinated, thread chicken, capsicum and onion onto the skewers. Heat a griddle pan over a medium-high heat and cook the skewers for 5 minutes a side or until the chicken is cooked through.
6. Serve chicken skewers immediately with hummus, tabbouleh and pita bread.
For more healthy and delicious recipes click here.
Join The Biting Truth Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive our Meal Planning Guide & 10% discount off our shop page.