Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp turmeric, ground
- 1 tsp cumin,ground
- 1 tsp coriander, ground
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cup Red or yellow split peas, rinsed, soaked in water for 1 hour, drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 can tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 lemon rind
- 1/4 can light coconut milk
- 2 cups spinach
- Coriander, to serve
- Pita bread, to serve
- Heat olive oil in a pot and sautee onion until it is soft and starting to brown. Then add garlic and grated ginger and continue to cook, stirring regularly so the garlic doesn’t burn, until the mixture is brown and very fragrant.
- Stir in the spices and let them cook for around 30 seconds. Be careful not to let the spices burn.
- Add the lentils, water, stock, coconut milk, tomatoes, tomato paste and bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cover the pan with a lid whilst simmering, so that the liquid does not evaporate too quickly. Cook for 25 -30 minute or until lentils are soft. Stir through baby spinach.
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve with pita bread.
- Leftovers will last several days in the fridge or can be frozen for a few months at least.
Join The Biting Truth Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive our Meal Planning Guide & 10% discount off our shop page.