Herbed Roast Chicken
Serves: 6-8 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 70 minutes
- 1 whole chicken
- 3 garlic cloves
- 5 thyme sprigs
- ¼ bunch basil
- ¼ bunch parsley
- 2 lemons
- ¼ tsp lemon rind
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper
- Leftover juices from the roast chicken
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- Dash of white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
1. Take chicken out of fridge approximately 1 hour prior to cooking to bring it to room temperature. Preheat oven to 190°Cc
2. Place garlic, thyme, parsley, the juice of 1 lemon, lemon zest, oil, salt and pepper in a food processor. Blitz to combine.
3. With the chickens legs pointing towards use, use a spatula or your hands to loosen the skin away from the breasts and spread the herb mixture evenly under the skin and over the breasts. Add the butter under the skin and place the remaining lemon (cut in half) into the butt.
4. Place chicken in a medium baking tray and roast for roughly 70 minutes, basting every 20 minutes or so. When the skin is golden-brown and crisp and the juices run clear when the meat is pierced with a small knife, remove the chicken from the oven and set aside for 10 minutes before serving.
5. To make gravy, poor the leftover juices in the tray into a small saucepan set over medium heat. Stir in the flour, stock and wine and whisk to mix together. Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes or until gravy becomes consistency of your liking.
6. Strain the gravy through a coarse sieve into another pan,pushing all the goodness through with a spoon, then taste and season to perfection.
7. Serve roast chicken with gravy and our delicious crunchy cos lettuce salad.