Nutrient Loaded Green Shakshuka
Serves: 2-3 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, chopped
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 100g baby spinach
- 3 or 4 eggs
- 40g feta cheese
- Fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to serve
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add leek, shallots, garlic, cumin, ground coriander and fennel seeds and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the kale to the pan (you may need to add a little more oil) and add half of the lemon juice. Stir while the kale wilts.
- Meanwhile, leave frozen peas in a bowl of boiling water to defrost.
- Add the baby spinach to the pan, season with salt and pepper, squeeze some of the remaining lemon juice, then stir and cook for a further 4 to 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn the kale.
- Using a spoon, make small holes in the mixture to crack the eggs. Then crack the eggs into the pan and leave to cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Pop a lid on to steam the tops of the eggs.
- While that is cooking, blitz peas in a food processor for 10 seconds (so they are partly crushed). You could also use a fork.
- Take pan away from heat and season with salt and pepper. Crumble with feta and add fresh chopped coriander. Sprinkle some chia seeds over the eggs and vegetables.
- Serve straight away with wholegrain toast. You may like to add a squeeze of fresh lemon.
Join The Biting Truth Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive our Meal Planning Guide & 10% discount off our shop page.