Warming Chicken & Corn Soup
Serves: 4 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 2 sticks celery, finely diced
- 400g chicken breasts fillets
- 1L salt reduced chicken stock
- 1cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced with the white and green parts divided
- 1 x 200g can whole kernel corn
- 1 x 400g can creamed corn
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pot and add garlic, leek, carrot and celery. Stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the majority of the stock (leave 1 cup aside), chicken, ginger, the white parts of the spring onions. Brown chicken for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in whole kernel corn and creamed corn and mix to combine. Bring mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat and cover for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked.
- Remove chicken from the pot and use two forks to gently shred the chicken. Then return the shredded chicken back to the pot.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup stock and cornstarch. Stir the mixture into the soup and cook for 1 minute, or until the soup has thickened.
- Using a spoon, begin to swirl the soup slowly in a continuous motion. While you are still swirling the soup, drizzle the whisked eggs into the soup in a steady stream. The hot broth will instantly cook the eggs, forming egg ribbons.
- Add in the sesame oil, and stir to combine. Then taste the soup, and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with the remaining green parts of the green onions.