Supercharged Chicken, Barley & Kale Soup
Serves: 5-6 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 fennel, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 500g chicken breast
- 5L water
- 2 cubes of reduced salt chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 shallots
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- ¾ cup pearl barley
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- ¼ bunch of fresh parsley, to serve
- Wholegrain bread, to serve
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, leek, fennel, carrots, celery, stirring for 2- 3 minutes, until tender.
- Add chicken to the pot, stirring for 4 – 5 , minutes until the chicken is opaque all over.
- Add the water and stock cubes, thyme, bay leaves, 1 shallot, peppercorns and bring to the boil. Leave to cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Add the barley to the pot and then cover, reduce the heat and leave to simmer until the barley is tender and chicken is cooked through (12-15 minutes). Using a fork, shred the chicken in the soup.
- Add kale and cook for 5 minutes, or until wilted.
- Garnish the soup with shallots and fresh parsley and serve with a slice of wholegrain bread.
Join The Biting Truth Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive our Meal Planning Guide & 10% discount off our shop page.