Cannellini Bean Shakshuka
Serves: 4 – 6 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes (or fresh chilli)
- 1 teaspoon pepper, ground
- 1/4 lemon zest, grated
- 2 tins tomatoes, diced
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup baby spinach or kale
- 4 eggs
- 1 fresh tomato, sliced (optional)
- Feta (to serve)
- Coriander, fresh (to serve)
1. Heat olive oil in a non-stick frying pan pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 – 4 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, cumin, coriander, fennel seeds, chilli, pepper and lemon zest and cook, stirring until fragrant.
2. Add canned tomatoes and bring sauce to a simmer. Then add in the cannellini beans. Allow sauce to come to a simmer and leave to thicken for 8 – 10 minutes. Stir in kale or baby spinach and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Using the back of a spoon, make 4 indentations in tomato mixture. Add slices of tomato to top of mixture. Crack four eggs into the pan, then place a lid on top and let them simmer for 4 – 6 minutes (or until cooked to desired consistency)
4. Top with crumbled feta and freshly chopped coriander and serve!