Cannellini Bean Shakshuka
Serves: 4 – 6 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes (or fresh chilli)
- 1 teaspoon pepper, ground
- 1/4 lemon zest, grated
- 2 tins tomatoes, diced
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup baby spinach or kale
- 4 eggs
- 1 fresh tomato, sliced (optional)
- Feta (to serve)
- Coriander, fresh (to serve)
1. Heat olive oil in a non-stick frying pan pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 – 4 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, cumin, coriander, fennel seeds, chilli, pepper and lemon zest and cook, stirring until fragrant.
2. Add canned tomatoes and bring sauce to a simmer. Then add in the cannellini beans. Allow sauce to come to a simmer and leave to thicken for 8 – 10 minutes. Stir in kale or baby spinach and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Using the back of a spoon, make 4 indentations in tomato mixture. Add slices of tomato to top of mixture. Crack four eggs into the pan, then place a lid on top and let them simmer for 4 – 6 minutes (or until cooked to desired consistency)
4. Top with crumbled feta and freshly chopped coriander and serve!
Join The Biting Truth Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive our Meal Planning Guide & 10% discount off our shop page.