Vegetarian Chilli Beans
Serves: 4 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 20 mins
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 x 400g canned cherry tomatoes
- 2 x 400g canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 x 400g canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander, plus more for garnishing
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 avocado, diced, to serve
- Tortilla chips, to serve
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a casserole dish or heavy-bottomed pot. Once the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic, chilli and spices. Allow to sautee for 2-3 minutes. Add carrot, celery, zucchini and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, black beans and cannellini beans, vegetable stock and bay leaf. Stir to combine and let the mixture come to a simmer. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally and reducing heat, simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook quinoa according to packet instructions.
- Optional step (recommended): transfer 1½ cups of mixture to a blender (or you can use a hand blender or potato masher) and blend until smooth. Then pour blended mixture back into pot.
- Add cooked quinoa to the bean mixture and squeeze in some fresh lime juice. Taste and adjust accordingly.
- Divide the mixture into individual bowls and serve with chopped coriander and toppings of your choice such as avocado, tortilla chips.