Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
Serves: 6-8 | Prep time: 45 mins | Cook time: 30 mins
- 500g lamb mince
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 x 400g canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste, salt reduced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 zucchini, finely diced
- 4 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 700g Sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 100g cheddar cheese, light (optional)
- 1 tsp dried herbs (oregano, thyme, rosemary)
1. Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and lightly grease a large ovenproof dish.
2. Heat 2 tbsps olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Then add mince and brown, take off the heat and set aside.
3. Add onion and saute for 1-2 minutes or until lightly brown. Then stir in garlic, celery, tomato paste, dried herbs and diced tomatoes and cook until tomatoes and celery soften.
4. Add mince back into the pot and stir to combine
5. Add carrot and zucchini to the pot, place lid on and bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, cook sweet potato in a saucepan of boiling water for 8 minutes or until just tender. Drain. Add in 2 tbsps olive oil and mash until smooth.
7. Spoon lamb mixture into ovenproof dish and top with mashed sweet potato and sprinkle with grated cheese.
8. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden.
For more healthy and delicious recipes, click here.