Baked Pumpkin Stuffed with Cheese & Veggies
Serves: 10 – 15 | Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 2 hours
- 1 whole kent pumpkin
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon fresh Thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- Pinch nutmeg
- Small slice kent pumpkin, chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 80g brie, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 slice stale wholegrain bread, thinly sliced and cut into small chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 Lemon juice and rind
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Salt and pepper (to season)
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat and cook the onion for 2 – 3 minutes, until soft. Then add garlic and spinach and cook for a further 3 – 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a circle around the top of the pumpkin and place the lid to the side. (Note: you will need a sharp knife so take extreme caution).
- Scoop out the seeds and stringy flesh from the pumpkin. Score the inside of the pumpkin using a knife to allow the filling to get into the pumpkin (note: be careful not to pierce the pumpkin skin with the knife). Then season the inside of the pumpkin with a pinch of salt, pepper, thyme and oregano, cumin and nutmeg. Brush the outside of the pumpkin with some extra virgin olive oil.
- In a bowl combine the chopped pumpkin, cheeses, sour cream, bread chunks, bay leaves, lemon juice, lemon rind, herbs and spices and walnuts. Add the onion and spinach mixture and stir to combine.
- Place the filling into the pumpkin and pack down. Push as much as you can in.
- Place the pumpkin lid on top and bake for 2 hours, or until tender.
- Remove from oven carefully and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- To serve, remove the lid from the pumpkin. Using a spoon, mix the pumpkin flesh with the cheesy mixture. Then you can either spoon out portions of the filling or just allow everyone dip into the pumpkin bowl!