Mushroom & Chickpea Sausage Rolls
Makes: 20-25 rolls | Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 250g button mushrooms, finely sliced
- 425g can of chickpeas, rinsed
- ½ tsp cumin, ground
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 2 eggs, whisked
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 80g feta
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- Sesame seeds, to decorate
- Salt & pepper, to season
1. Preheat oven to 200°C and line a large tray with baking paper. Remove pastry sheets from the freezer to thaw.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Add garlic, carrot, mushrooms and sautee for 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
3. In a food processor, combine chickpeas, cumin, parsley and sautéed vegetables and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl.
4. Add the breadcrumbs, feta and dijon mustard and half of the whisked eggs (save remaining half to top the rolls) to the chickpea mixture and mix well to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Cut a sheet of pastry in half lengthways to create a rectangle. Add the chickpea mixture along the long edge and use your hands to form it into a sausage shape. (Check out our Youtube video to see how we do this!).
6. Brush the edges with egg and roll the pastry over the filling as firmly as possible without stretching the pastry until you have a roll shape. Use a fork to seal the edges.
7. Brush top of roll with whisked egg and top with sesame seeds. Use a knife to cut the roll into 5 small pieces. Transfer to tray and repeat with remaining mixture and pastry.
8. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with tomato sauce or chutney.
- Check out our Youtube Video making these recipes here.
- You can mix up this recipe using other types of legumes (e.g. lentils) and other vegetables.
- For more super delicious and healthy recipes, then check out our Flexitarian Challenge. When you sign up you’ll receive our Flexitarian Cookbook with over 45 recipes, as well as a bunch of nutrition support!