Vegetarian Lentil Sausage Roll
Lentil sausage rolls are a healthy recipe that the whole family can enjoy! These vegetarian rolls are packed full of nutritional goodness and are bursting with flavour.
- 1 slice grainy bread
- 400g can of no-added-salt lentils, drained, rinsed
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 Brown onion, diced finely
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (or you can use pistachios)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives (or you can use coriander or parsley)
- 2 tbsps BBQ sauce
- 2 tbsps tomato sauce
- Olive oil spray
- 5 sheets filo pastry
- Sesame seeds to sprinkle
- Greek yoghurt, to dip
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
2. Add bread to the food processor and blend until breadcrumbs form.
3. In a frying pan, add the onion and garlic and cook over a medium heat for a few minutes until soft.
4. Add bread crumbs, grated carrots, lentils, egg, walnuts, chives and sauces and combine to make the filling.
5. Spray one filo pastry sheet lightly with oil (cover remaining sheets with a clean, damp tea towel). Place half the filling along one long side of filo pastry and roll to enclose the filling and create ‘sausage rolls’. Cut into 4 even lengths and place onto baking tray. Repeat this process with the rest of the filo pastry.
6. Lightly spray all the rolls with oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
7. Serve lentil sausage rolls with Greek yoghurt and enjoy!
For more healthy and delicious recipes, click here.