Classic Roast Tomato Soup
Serves: 4-6 | Prep time: 50 minutes
- 2kg ripe tomatoes
- 2 red onions
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pinch of dried oregano
- 1 pinch chilli flakes
- 1/4 cup pinenuts
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Parmesan cheese, to serve
- Wholegrain bread, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- De-core tomatoes and chop in half. Roughly chop onions.
- Heat oil in a roasting tray over medium-high heat. Layer tomatoes and onion over the tray and sauté for approximately 3-4 minutes. Turn the tomatoes over and add garlic, pepper, oregano, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and chilli flakes and cook over high heat for 3-4 minutes. Then transfer to tray oven and roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pine nuts in a large pot over a medium-low heat for 3 – 4 minutes. Add chopped fresh basil (leave some basil leaves to decorate the soup for serving) and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Once the tomatoes have finished roasting, remove from the oven and add to pot. Add vegetable stock and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove pot from pan and blitz soup with hand blender until you achieve desired consistency.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls, and top with basil leaves and some fresh parmesan cheese. Enjoy with a slice of toast!